[hobbit] RE: hobbit monitoring on ESX servers

ulric at siag.nu ulric at siag.nu
Mon Jun 7 23:55:28 CEST 2010

Citerar wiskbroom at hotmail.com:

>> Citerar "White, Bruce" <bewhite at fellowes.com>:
>>
>> > I have been playing with the ESX MIBs and I find the data almost
>> > worthless. would very much like to see just what you are capturing from
>> > the MIBs.
>>
>> My experience as well. I wholeheartedly recommend Vmware's sdk: it's
>> free, it's supported and it really is the best way to do scripted
>> remote administration of esx.
>

> Is this something that you are already working on?  I'd love to see
> if you have been able to tie this in to Xymon.

Here is the sdk:

http://communities.vmware.com/community/developer/forums/vsphere_sdk_perl

And here is the Nagios plugin i wrote about earlier:

http://exchange.nagios.org/directory/Plugins/Operating-Systems/*-Virtual-Environments/VMWare/check_esx3/details

I've only used it with Nagios, but the structure of a Nagios plugin is
very similar to a Xymon ext script and one can be trivially converted
to the other.

Ulric