[hobbit] The time shown by hobbitsvc.cgi generated pages

Ralph Mitchell ralphmitchell at gmail.com
Wed Jun 2 04:08:38 CEST 2010

On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 12:40 PM, Steve Holmes <sholmes42 at mac.com> wrote:

> I've been searching the archives for this and can't even figure out what to
> search for, really, so sorry if I missed something.
> I'm running Xymon 4.2.3 on Solaris 10.
> We are in the EST time zone. The pages generated by Xymon for all but the
> detail pages which are generated by hobbitsvc.cgi have the correct time
> displayed at the top. All pages generated by hobbitsvc.cgi as well as the
> times shown on all of the graphs are four hours in the future (presumably
> UTC?).
>
> I would like to know how to fix this little problem. Everything else (well
> almost) is working great

Is it possible your web server started up before the system timezone was
set??  That's the only thing that springs to  mind.  I'm fairly sure Xymon
doesn't have a timezone builtin, so it's using the system timezone when it
generates (most of) the pages.  The pages generated by cgi would pick up the
timezone setting the web server was started with, I think.  You could test
that by dropping this shell script into your servers regular cgi-bin
directory:

     #!/bin/bash

     echo "Content-type: text/plain"
     echo ""
     date

When I go to http://myserver.domain.com/cgi-bin/date,  I get back a page
with:

     Tue Jun  1 22:02:37 EDT 2010

and the time now in Virginia Beach is indeed 10:02pm.

Ralph Mitchell