[xymon] New perl library and client channel script added to xymonton

David Baldwin david.baldwin at ausport.gov.au
Fri Jul 30 09:06:39 CEST 2010

Buchan,
> On Thursday, 29 July 2010 08:19:07 David Baldwin wrote:
>
>> I've just spent a bit of time tidying up some code I've been meaning to
>> do for ages and put on xymonton.
>>

>> http://xymonton.trantor.org/doku.php/monitors:xymonext.pm
>>

> Note that, since no one developing perl modules such as this discusses them
> first on the development mailing list, there are now at *least* three modules
> doing very similar things in different ways, with different name spaces.
>
> I would very much like to see a single official API for each scripting language,
> with a good feature set, rather than 3 different ones with different but
> overlapping feature sets.

Totally fair call. In fact I came up with the different namespace
exactly because Xymon.pm already existed in xymonton, but I didn't take
the time to even look at it. I could just have cut'n'pasted the
functions required into the script, but that wouldn't have achieved a
great deal either.

> If no one else discusses these in advance, I will just pick one and commit it
> to svn and wait for patches ... which is obviously not the best approach, but
> no one else seems to worry about that.

OK, let's do an inventory of these libraries, work out the overlap and
separate areas of functionality and come up with a namespace. Heck, it
can even go into CPAN.

It will surely make it easier to write perl-based tests in the longer
term. Sure, if you only write one or two standalone tests you can copy
and paste code, but once you have a bunch spread across several systems
it becomes a pain not using common libraries.

Please reply to me on or off list as appropriate. Send me URLs or file
attachments, either will do. I'll see what I can come up with.

Thanks, David.

--
David Baldwin - IT Unit
Australian Sports Commission          www.ausport.gov.au

Keep up to date with what's happening in Australian sport visit http://www.ausport.gov.au

This message is intended for the addressee named and may contain confidential and privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient please note that any form of distribution, copying or use of this communication or the information in it is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you receive this message in error, please delete it and notify the sender.