[xymon] Feature? svcs

David Baldwin david.baldwin at ausport.gov.au
Thu Jul 29 09:07:36 CEST 2010

Vernon,
> I have noticed, if you run BBWin, you get the svcs column, showing all
> the services running on the client.
> And, the server understands this test. I can add entries into
> hobbit-client.cfg along the lines of
> HOST=foo
>  SVC     "SomeService" startup=automatic status=started COLOR=red
> and if the service isn't running it will change to a red status.

That is using the 'client' message type for reporting. On one of the
bbwin hosts svcs report you will notice a link near the bottom to
"client data" which shows the full report.
> I want the same functionality for Solaris services.
> I wrote a very simple test for Solaris services (see below), but of
> course, that's a client-side test, and the services to alert on can't
> be configured at server side.
> (It will also only register services in maintenance mode, not disabled
> services)
> I thought maybe I could hack the hobbitclient-sunos.sh to send the
> stuff under the [svcs] heading, like BBWin does, but that didn't work.
> (I assume there is some logic defining what the server expects from
> each client type)
> I even went so far as to massage the output of svcs -aH to look at
> least similar to the BBWin svcs output.

I assume there is some hard-coded testing in hobbitd based on client
type (win32/linux/solaris/etc) for the standard reports.

A general solution is to use a test that reports on the client channel.
Note that you can do initial filtering on the new client message header
for OS type, etc.

I've just spent a bit of time tidying up some code I've been meaning to
do for ages and put on xymonton.
http://xymonton.trantor.org/doku.php/monitors:check-client
http://xymonton.trantor.org/doku.php/monitors:xymonext.pm

It would be fairly easy to add to the solaris hobbitclient-solaris.sh to
add a [svcs] session, and then add a custom test to client-check.pl

David.

--
David Baldwin - IT Unit
Australian Sports Commission          www.ausport.gov.au

Keep up to date with what's happening in Australian sport visit http://www.ausport.gov.au

This message is intended for the addressee named and may contain confidential and privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient please note that any form of distribution, copying or use of this communication or the information in it is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you receive this message in error, please delete it and notify the sender.