[Hobbitmon-developer] ackcode in log file

Asif Iqbal vadud3 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 21 18:56:29 CEST 2010

On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 4:06 PM, Asif Iqbal <vadud3 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 12:45 PM, Asif Iqbal <vadud3 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 12:38 PM, Clark, Sean <sean.clark at twcable.com> wrote:
>>> Acknowledge.log in the logs directory
>>
>> Hi Sean,
>>
>> That is not really what I am asking for. That is only the log if
>> someone acknowledges it.
>>
>> It is really the alert code that we may or may not ack. Since alerts
>> gets logged in
>> notifications.log file. So would be a logical place to have the alert
>> code in there as well,
>> even if we never ACK it
>
> so looks like I just need to modify the hobbitd/do_alert.c line 148 to
> 150 to add the cookie if I want it
> the alert code to show up in notifications.log file. Is there any
> other places I need to make change
> as well?
>
> 137         if ((alert->color >= 0) && (alert->color < COL_COUNT)) sev
> = sevtxt[alert->color];
> 138
> 139         switch (alert->state) {
> 140           case A_PAGING:
> 141           case A_ACKED:
> 142                 subjfmt = (include_configid ? "Hobbit [%d] %s:%s
> %s [cfid:%d]" :  "Hobbit [%d] %s:%s %s");
> 143                 snprintf(subj, sizeof(subj)-1, subjfmt,
> 144                          alert->cookie, alert->hostname,
> alert->testname, sev, recip->cfid);
> 145                 break;
> 146
> 147           case A_NOTIFY:
> 148                 subjfmt = (include_configid ? "Hobbit %s:%s NOTICE
> [cfid:%d]" :  "Hobbit %s:%s NOTICE");
> 149                 snprintf(subj, sizeof(subj)-1, subjfmt,
> 150                          alert->hostname, alert->testname, recip->cfid);
> 151                 break;
> 152
> 153           case A_RECOVERED:
> 154                 subjfmt = (include_configid ? "Hobbit %s:%s
> recovered [cfid:%d]" :  "Hobbit %s:%s recovered");
> 155                 snprintf(subj, sizeof(subj)-1, subjfmt,
> 156                          alert->hostname, alert->testname, recip->cfid);
> 157                 break;
> 158
> 159           case A_NORECIP:
> 160           case A_DEAD:
> 161                 /* Cannot happen */
> 162                 break;
> 163         }

I am still playing with the ackcode/alertcode to put into
notifications.log. Looks like I actually
have to modify the code here

   387                                          if (logfd) {
   388                                                  init_timestamp();
   389                                                  fprintf(logfd,
"%s %s.%s (%s) %s[%d] %ld %d",
   390
timestamp, alert->hostname, alert->testname,
   391
alert->ip, recip->recipient, recip->cfid,
   392
(long)now, servicecode(alert->testname));
   393                                                  if
(alert->state == A_RECOVERED) {
   394
fprintf(logfd, " %ld\n", (long)(now - alert->eventstart));
   395                                                  }
   396                                                  else {
   397
fprintf(logfd, "\n");
   398                                                  }
   399                                                  fflush(logfd);
   400                                          }

I have to add alert->cookie in there. Will confirm it that works

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?