[xymon] alert on proc while both hosts running the same process at the same time

Asif Iqbal vadud3 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 14 04:22:31 CEST 2010

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 7:12 PM, Vernon Everett
<everett.vernon at gmail.com> wrote:
> Henrik's solution with combo tests is the easiest, but might give
> false positives if you are monitoring other procs as well as the
> cluster processes.
> Mine is a little more complex, but will not be effected by other proc alerts.
>
> My advice? Keep it as simple as you can get away with. Use Henrik's
> method if you can.

well I think, Henrik meant a separate service column for just that
proc, not the proc service column.
I am aware of bbcombohost and that is what I was referring when I side
server side ext in OP.
But did not want pollute any other idea by mentioning it ahead of
time. and it worked :-) .

I like your one as it gives some cool ideas on how to monitor stuff. I
will save it in cool xymon
tricks depot.

All ideas, that have been presented here so far, require a separate
service column for my specific proc,
lets call it clusterproc.

So based on that, I will go with bbcombotest just because it is
simpler and I am using it for other tasks
within xymon

> Regards
>    Vernon
>
> On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 8:56 PM, Asif Iqbal <vadud3 at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> With a combo-test. In bbcombotest.cfg you put
>>>
>>>   host12.proc = (host1.proc + host2.proc) == 1
>>>
>>> and then add a pseudo-host "host12" in bb-hosts for the combined status.
>>>
>>>   0.0.0.0 host12 # noconn "COMMENT:host1+2 process cluster"
>>
>> thanks to all of you for the server side ext suggestion. that was one
>> of the option
>> I mentioned in my email. I guess that means can't do it with stock
>> hobbit. I will
>> need to create a separate service column for just that one process. no problem.
>> thanks again
>>

>>> Regards,
>>> Henrik
>>>

>>> To unsubscribe from the xymon list, send an e-mail to
>>> xymon-unsubscribe at xymon.dk
>>>

>> --
>> Asif Iqbal
>> PGP Key: 0xE62693C5 KeyServer: pgp.mit.edu
>> A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.

> To unsubscribe from the xymon list, send an e-mail to
> xymon-unsubscribe at xymon.dk

--
Asif Iqbal
PGP Key: 0xE62693C5 KeyServer: pgp.mit.edu
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?