[hobbit] User management for Xymon?!

Buchan Milne bgmilne at staff.telkomsa.net
Thu Jul 8 08:29:00 CEST 2010

On Thursday, 8 July 2010 00:26:23 Maik Heinelt wrote:
>   As we are talking about new features/function for Xymon,
> I would like to bring in one more idea.

We actually have enough ideas, but the problem until now was ensuring they
received enough attention, and enabling people who can work on some aspect to
be able to do so in a collaborative fashion.

> Cause we are monitoring several server from my companies costumer,
> we have set several user for our costumer, to see their server status.
> For this, we just use a simple .htaccess connected with a MySQL db.

In many environments, I am authenticating users to LDAP directories, or
Kerberos.

> It would be very handy, if there would be such a user/permission
> management in Xymon as default.

This is on the feature plan for (I think) 4.6. However, we need to review if
we think the current design of every non-static page being generated by a CGI
in C is the best way to provide a featureful web interface. In other words,
this may be quite a bit of work.

But, there is no need to discuss at length whether or not this is necessary,
we know it is.

> Just to setup a new user and select the view/folder/sub-folder, where
> the user has permissions to.

Well, as others have stated, this is already possible, depending on the web
server you are using. However, what isn't currently easy, is preventing users
from seeing information about servers they are not supposed to be able to see,
via the CGIs (which accept hostnames as parameters).

Regards,
Buchan