[hobbit] Re: [Hobbitmon-developer] Xymon is practically dead

Buchan Milne bgmilne at staff.telkomsa.net
Tue Jul 6 17:11:20 CEST 2010

On Friday, 2 July 2010 11:53:59 Vernon Everett wrote:
> On the subject of a roadmap/plan
>
> Was there ever a plan to merge/integrate the source for Xymon and
> Devmon, or did I dream it?

They don't need to be intergrated.

However, in a number of environments I can't install Xymon agents on OSs, and
I am using devmon in place of the xymon/hobbit client.

However, there are many missing pieces in Xymon to make this convenient. For
example, for Devmon-monitored hosts, thresholds are currently encoded in the
DEVMON tag in bb-hosts, because there is no API to get thresholds out of
Xymon, and I would prefer not to duplicate config parsing in devmon.

> If there was ever such a plan, is it still on the cards?
> If I did dream it, is it a possibility?

What were you dreaming, besides what I have described above?

There are many other possibilities, but again, they require changes in Xymon
first, which I have not discussed until now, as there was no collaborative
feature plan for Xymon, and I did not want to overload Henrik just yet.

Regards,
Buchan