[hobbit] CPU, Disk and memory message format to obtain valuable Graphs

Gillis Bart Bart.Gillis at cegeka.be
Tue Jul 6 14:10:12 CEST 2010

Hi tj,

I've been using BBwin for several years now with great success.
I would like to help the xymon community but I've 2 major problems with
the participation to BBwin or Mr. Big.

First of all I'm not a developer so I cannot write C programs.
As a system engineer I can however write some scripting languages (Perl,
vbscript,..) to provide some customized monitors.

The latest year I had some issues with the mechanism of the BBwin or Mr.
Big agents.
We are monitoring some servers through a L2L VPN connection. In these
link we are working with a dynamic NAT protocol so we do not know to
which IP address the messages should be send.
Our company does not allow connections being initiated from the outside
network. (Which is the way BBwin works)
Another problem is the big bandwidth problem. On windows 2008 servers,
the port check produces much info making the messages too big.
Due to this problem I can't use BBWin nor Mr. Big.

I found however a monitoring agent that perfectly matches with my
previous mentioned remarks. (the Nagios check_nt agent that listens to
the xymon server through a perl script.)
So I would like to share my experience on this agent but unfortunately
my lack of development skills don't permit me to participate in tha
BBWin or Mr. Big agents.
Despites the many man hours already put in the existing agenBB-win and
Mr. Big, I have to continue with the Nagios agent (But I'm working on
the nagios check_nrpe pligin that replaces the nagios check_nt plugin)

Met vriendelijke groeten,

Bart Gillis