[hobbit] Usefulness for xymonconfigsync?

W.J.M. Nelis nelis at nlr.nl
Wed Jan 13 08:43:48 CET 2010

>>> I've seen this link:
>>>
>>> http://sourceforge.net/projects/xymonconfigsync/
>>>
>>> Could some of you please share what are some of the ways in which you are using this?

[ ... ]

>> The module is written to be able to synchronize the Xymon configuration
>> file bb-hosts with a configuration database. That database contains the
>> devices to be monitored, some comment and above all the administrators
>> of each device. Those administrators will receive an e-mail if there is
>> a yellow or red condition for a test of "their" server. The database
>> does *not* contain information about the tests to be performed. When
>> regenerating the bb-hosts configuration file, information is taken as
>> much as possible from the configuration database, and the rest of the
>> information, especially the network tests, is taken from the old version
>> of the bb-hosts configuration file.
>>

> How is the database created? Do you have a db create script? (sorry, haven't read the POD yet).

There are (PHP) scripts to build and maintain the database, but they are
not useful to others. The database evolved from an IP address management
tool in 1994 to a MySQL database with user authentication info, device
info and license info. This database is very specific for this company.
I guess that in most companies the same will be true. The
xymonconfigsync module therefore deals only with the common part, the
Xymon configuration files.

>> As a result, a server becomes monitored (although with only one test
>> "conn") as soon as it is defined in the configuration database, en it
>> disappears from Xymon once it is removed from the database. Thus the
>> administrators have a bit of control of what is being monitored, and who
>> receives the alerts, as they are allowed to modify the configuration
>> database.
>>

> Makes sense, and are your admins delegated depending on their location/discipline and/or responsibilities?

I don't understand your question. We register per device and per
function the  administrator(s). This information is used to generate the
alert configuration. Basically there is one page for each administrator,
and an administrator get an alert if something is not green on his/her
page. The administrators are authorized to change this information in
the configuration database.

[...]

> My present bb-hosts is made up entirely of page, subpage, group-compress, title and dispinclude directives.
>
> Since my bb-hosts itself does not contain any hosts, I've been toying with the idea of modifying  menu/menu_items.js allowing me one entry for each dispinclude file/directory (using Chris Naude's bb-hosts.cgi for each dispinclude flat-files).  The problem with that idea is that it becomes messy looking,  and does not provide me with neither the ability to "hide" each file from other admins, nor allow me any sort of access control to those files; unless of course I setup some sort of ACL in the directories they are contained in.

If the info is taken from a database, you can use the access control
mechanisms of the database to achieve that goal. Moreover, the structure
and layout of the Xymon pages will become independent of the (changing)
access rules.

Regards,
  Wim Nelis.