WARNING: Runtime longer than time limit / DNS Timeout

John xymon.user.ml at gmail.com
Wed Feb 24 23:13:51 CET 2010

I'm having an issue where my bbtest column is turning yellow if I have
a host or three offline, saying "WARNING: Runtime 485 longer than time
limit (300)". Just below this it breaks down how long bbtest-net takes
on each type of test, it "says DNS tests executed" is 452 seconds. I
added "--debug --dns-timeout=15
--dnslog=/var/log/hobbit/bbtest-dns.log" to the bbtest-net command in
the hobbitlaunch.cfg file, and I can see the following in my
bb-network.log:

2010-02-24 14:27:54 ares_search: tlookup='[HOSTNAME1]', class=1, type=1
2010-02-24 14:27:54 Processing 0 DNS lookups with ARES
2010-02-24 14:35:24 Finished ARES queue after loop 1285

My bbtest-dns.log is strangely empty.

This is a remote host that is down (they lost power or something),
which unfortunately does happen from time to time. I have a couple
other hosts down in a similar fashion that report the same 7 and a
half minute delay in this log file. I have hundreds of other hosts
that are up that successfully complete their DNS lookup in a fraction
of a second. I do not understand why it is taking 7 and a half minutes
to fail it's dns lookup. I would love to figure out how to have it
give up and fail a little quicker. I thought the --dns-timeout=15
would accomplish this but it is not. At the moment I am not running
with the --no-ares option. I attempted to turn that option on but I
was still seeing the exact same behavior in the bb-network.log.

Can someone tell me what I'm missing, or if this is a bug?

Thanks