[xymon] DNS error and Service bbd not OK: Service unavailable (connect timeout)

J. Epperson hobbit at epperson.homelinux.net
Thu Dec 9 15:13:53 CET 2010

On Thu, December 9, 2010 06:12, Henrik Størner wrote:
> In <AANLkTimG_j8Z6ZmZ8K9pHHdrgqE50BVj7ddMj6fw3bCO at mail.gmail.com>
Jayanta
>  Kundu <jayantak007 at gmail.com> writes:
>> 2. If I check http(Client side Collector Server) error is:
>> http://abixymon.mtncameroon.net/ - DNS error
> Your Xymon server running the http test cannot do a DNS-lookup for
abixymon.mtncameroon.net . Either fix the DNS issue, or specify the
IP-address to use for the http test with the
> http://abixymon.mtncameroon.net=10.0.0.1/ syntax to override the DNS
lookup.

Eureka!  Didn't know about the "=ip" syntax, so this post sent me to the
manpage.  This is perfect for our situation of Internet-facing virtual
hosts with private addresses in the internal split DNS.  Up to now, if a
NAT failure occurred for one of these, we didn't necessarily know, because
we were testing via the RFC1918 address.  Couldn't use straight-IP URLs
because of virtual host settings and rewrite rules.