[hobbit] UPS monitoring using devmon

David Baldwin david.baldwin at ausport.gov.au
Mon Sep 14 08:41:01 CEST 2009

thorsten.erdmann at daimler.com wrote:

> Hi David
>
> I just tested your template against my MGE Galaxy. There are some
> minor issues:

I developed it against a Chloride UPS.
> 1.  battery voltage is displayed as 42100V, yeah. I solved that with
> setting the transform of "upsBatteryVoltageTxt" to
> "{upsBatteryVoltage} / 10" instead of "x 10"
Whoops - my bad. My UPS shows:
UPS-MIB::upsBatteryVoltage.0 (.1.3.6.1.2.1.33.1.2.5.0) = INTEGER: 22 0.1
Volt DC
So that's really 2.2V not 220V.
> 2.  battery current is 0A, it seems that the MGE does not deliver this
> value
Likewise, my UPS does not return anything other than 0. We just had a
power failure and it didn't even move from 0 during that, so it's not
drain on the batteries when in use. It was really there for completeness.
> 3.  message test is yellow: "primary OID upsAlarmDescrTxt in table is
> a non-repeater", I don't know how to solve that
Rest assured, when there IS an alarm, you will see them - I had 2 this
morning.

At the moment devmon doesn't handle empty repeaters well. I had some
discussions with Buchan a while ago.
> 4.  output power is 0kW. If I use the special MGE MIB I get real results
I do get real values on output power (but not on input power).
> 5.  input power displays unrealistic results:
>          Line bads: 3
>          Input configuration: 3 lines of 0 V AC @ 0.0 Hz

These depend on config values. They may need to be populated in the UPS
management interface - I'm not sure. I do get them returned for my UPS.
>          UPS Input
>          Phase Freq Volts Amps Power
>         1 50.0 Hz  390V 28.0A 2746W
>         2 50.0 Hz  395V 28.0A 2835W
>         3 50.0 Hz  391V 28.0A 2765W
> 6.  I am missing some temperature tests
>
> So now I am unsure what to do.
> I can ignore these issues
> I can modify your template to use the OIDs of the vendor's MIB
> I can use my own template which does not display so much results, but
> uses the vendor's MIB

I've had similar dilemmas with HP servers with all kinds of mixes of
hardware RAID controllers, hardware event logs and then adding
SNMP-Informant on the top.
> It seems that the vendors does not support the standard UPS MIB very
> cleanly. So I think we have to build a special template for every
> vendor. :-(
>
> But even if I don't use your template it was very helpful. It is a
> very good demonstration how to use tables and other stuff in devmon. I
> didn't try the graphing now, but I will do it now. :-)

Let me know how you go with that.
> Thank you for your work!!!

Thanks.

I just added "templatebuilder.pl" into the extras directory in the
devmon SVN repository.

It gives a good start on putting together a template, translating
between names and OIDs, generating barebones oids, transforms and
thresholds files.

It relies on having the MIB definition files installed correctly.

David.