Trying to send to dual xymon servers

d.tom.schmitt at L-3com.com d.tom.schmitt at L-3com.com
Mon Nov 2 19:13:28 CET 2009

Sorry for this entry being so long.  I am trying to include as much info
as possible.

Running Xymon 4.3.0-0.beta2 on CentOS 5.3.

I am trying to send to 2 xymon servers (Primary - monitor1, Secondary -
monitor2) from multiple clients.

                CLIENTS BEING TESTED:

o   Linux (tomvip)

o   BBWin (sltst03)

o   Current BB clients that are in service (slcts00)

                It worked after we set the 1984 TCP port in the firewall
for a short time and then quit.

I am also having the same problem when setting the BBWin to point to
both server (it works and then it stops to one of them).

If I add both addresses to the actual BB windows client, they both
report the exact same icons to both servers and the BB server.

I was able to get both the BB and the BBWin clients to run on the same
Windows server.

We setup a different registry name for the BBWin client (e.g. slcts00
vs. slcts00.csw.L-3com.com for BB).

I have the iptables firewalls on both monitor1 and monitor2 OFF.

                cd /etc/init.d

                ./iptables stop

I get PURPLE icons on  monitor1 and OK icons on monitor2:   (for Linux,
but just dashed for BBWin).

G=green,  W=white, P=purple

conn      cpu         disk        files        http       info
memory/mem       msgs      ports                procs     ssh
sslcert   trends   svcs

Monitor1:    tomvip.csw.l-3com.com      G             P             P
P             G             G             P
P             P             P                G             G

Monitor1:    slcts00.csw.l-3com.com       G             G             G
G                             G             G
G                                                G             G
(BB Client)

Monitor1:    sltst03.csw.L-3com.com       G             G             G
G             G                             G
G                                                G             G
(BBWin also uptime, who)

Monitor2:    tomvip.csw.l-3com.com      G             G             G
W           G             G             G                             G
W           W                G             G             G

Monitor1:    slcts00.csw.l-3com.com       G             G             G
G                             G             G
G                                                G             G
(BB Client)

Monitor1:    sltst03.csw.L-3com.com       G             --
--                                             G             --
--                             --
G             --             (BBWin)

tomvip.csw.l-3com.com:

Beginning of file from /root/XYMON/client/etc/hobbitclient.cfg:

-------

# You may not have to set HOBBITCLIENTHOME= or BBOSTYPE= but I set them
here

-------

                                                                    #
Directory for the Hobbit client files

HOBBITCLIENTHOME=/root/XYMON/client

BBOSTYPE=linux                   # List can include:

                                                                    #
aix, dynix, greebsd, hp-ux, irix, linux

                                                                    #
redhat, debian, openbsd, netbds, osf

                                                                    #
sco, unixware, sunos, solaris, etc.

#         See:  http://xymon.trantor.org/doku.php/monitors:bbswap

#               For setup up of an extension script to monitor swap
space.

-------

# TO REPORT TO MORE THAN ONE XYMON SERVER JUST ADD MORE THAN ONE BBDISP=
LINE

# You can use either the IP Addresses or the URLs.

-------

BBDISP="monitor1.csw.l-3com.com" # IP address of the 1st Hobbit server

BBDISP="monitor2.csw.l-3com.com" # IP address of the 2nd Hobbit
server-if setup

BBDISPLAYS="0.0.0.0"                              # IP of multiple
Hobbit servers.

#     BBDISP must be "0.0.0.0".

CONFIGCLASS="$BBOSTYPE"                # Default configuration class for
logfiles

# PATH setting for the client scripts

PATH="/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/etc"

I have tried it without the BBDISPLAYS="" set - still the same output.

Messages on tomvip from /root/XYMON/client/logs/hobbitclient.log:

2009-10-26 13:21:26 Whoops ! bb failed to send message - Connection
failed

2009-10-26 13:31:31 Could not connect to
bbd at monitor1.csw.l-3com.com:1984 - No route to host

2009-10-26 13:31:31 Whoops ! bb failed to send message - Connection
failed

2009-10-26 13:36:43 Could not connect to
bbd at monitor1.csw.l-3com.com:1984 - No route to host

2009-10-26 13:36:43 Whoops ! bb failed to send message - Connection
failed

2009-10-26 13:41:37 Could not connect to
bbd at monitor1.csw.l-3com.com:1984 - No route to host

2009-10-26 13:41:37 Whoops ! bb failed to send message - Connection
failed

I can ping the monitor1 server with no problems.

BB-HOSTS Entries for:      (wrapped lines for ease of reading)

MONITOR1:

                127.0.0.1          monitor1.csw.l-3com.com      # bbd
conn ssh http://monitor1.csw.l-3com.com
apache=http://monitor1.csw.l-3com.com/server-status?

auto TRENDS:*,apache:apache|apache1|apache2|apache3

                128.170.1.161 monitor2.csw.l-3com.com      # bbd conn
ssh http://monitor2.csw.l-3com.com
apache=http://monitor2.csw.l-3com.com/server-status?

auto TRENDS:*,apache:apache|apache1|apache2|apache3

                128.170.1.203   tomvip.csw.l-3com.com        # conn ssh
tftp http://tomvip.csw.l-3com.com/ https://tomvip.csw.l-3com.com./

MONITOR2:

                128.170.1.151 monitor1.csw.l-3com.com      # bbd conn
ssh http://monitor1.csw.l-3com.com
apache=http://monitor1.csw.l-3com.com/server-status?

auto TRENDS:*,apache:apache|apache1|apache2|apache3

127.0.0.1           monitor2.csw.l-3com.com      # bbd conn ssh
http://monitor2.csw.l-3com.com
apache=http://monitor2.csw.l-3com.com/server-status?

auto TRENDS:*,apache:apache|apache1|apache2|apache3

                128.170.1.203   tomvip.csw.l-3com.com        :q! # conn
ssh tftp http://tomvip.csw.l-3com.com/ https://tomvip.csw.l-3com.com/

RULES for iptables (iptables -L):

zCurrently Running:  (iptables stopped)

                Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

[root at monitor2 ~]#

When firewall is enabled:

[root at monitor2 ~]# cat IPTABLES-L.txt

Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)

RH-Firewall-1-INPUT  all  --  anywhere             anywhere

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)

RH-Firewall-1-INPUT  all  --  anywhere             anywhere

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

Chain RH-Firewall-1-INPUT (2 references)

ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere

ACCEPT     icmp --  anywhere             anywhere            icmp any

ACCEPT     esp  --  anywhere             anywhere

ACCEPT     ah   --  anywhere             anywhere

ACCEPT     udp  --  anywhere             224.0.0.251         udp
dpt:mdns

ACCEPT     udp  --  anywhere             anywhere            udp dpt:ipp

ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            tcp dpt:ipp

ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere            state
RELATED,ESTABLISHED

ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            state NEW
tcp dpt:smtp

ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            state NEW
tcp dpt:ssh

ACCEPT     udp  --  anywhere             anywhere            state NEW
udp dpt:netbios-ns

ACCEPT     udp  --  anywhere             anywhere            state NEW
udp dpt:netbios-dgm

ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            state NEW
tcp dpt:netbios-ssn

ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            state NEW
tcp dpt:microsoft-ds

ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            state NEW
tcp dpt:https

ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            state NEW
tcp dpt:http

ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            state NEW
tcp dpt:bb

REJECT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere            reject-with
icmp-host-prohibited

[root at monitor2 ~]#

I am getting more confused as I go along, something works and then it
stops working and I am not sure what I did to change the results?

Thanks,

Tom Schmitt

Senior IT Staff - R&D

Phone (801) 594-3030