[hobbit] [re-post] xymon notifications

Ralph Mitchell ralphmitchell at gmail.com
Wed May 27 21:30:59 CEST 2009

On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 2:03 PM, J Sloan <joe at tmsusa.com> wrote:

> We've been running big brother for some years, and we monitor several
> hundred servers in 2 data centers.
>
> We are currently running a pilot of xymon (4.3.0 svn), and just as with
> big brother, we have redundant monitoring servers. A xymon server in
> california monitors hosts in both california and arizona, and a xymon
> server in arizona monitors hosts in both data centers as well.
>
> For the most part, xymon is performing well, but it is a bit of an
> annoyance with xymon that we get duplicate notifications, as each xymon
> server sends it's own notifications for every event.
>
> Big brother sends a single notification for each event, as controlled by
> the alerting failover.
>
> Is there any way to suppress the duplicate notifications from xymon?

I don't think xymon has failover yet.  How are you sending the alerts??  If
you're using a script, you could make the script on the backup server run a
check against the primary.  If it fails, allow the backup to send out the
notifications.  Not perfect, but it could at least reduce the duplicates.

Ralph Mitchell