[hobbit] routers: graph for bandwidth??

Buchan Milne bgmilne at staff.telkomsa.net
Tue Mar 31 08:46:02 CEST 2009

On Monday 30 March 2009 22:38:59 William Ottley wrote:
> Hi all,
> I finally got my system configured for all of the different servers I have,
> including the cisco firewall and switches (thanks to help from here in the
> mailling list).
>
> But I stumbled upon something I can't seem to figure out, and searching
> doesn't give me the answer I'm looking for (wrong search strings?)
>
> Quite simply put, I want to have a graph of all the bandwidth that's being
> used for a router. Is this possible (I know it is with a mrtg addon that I
> saw somewhere), with DEVMON?

Yes, that is a feature that was first available with devmon 0.3.0. With current
xymon and devmon, it should more or less work out-the-box. Please see
docs/GRAPHING for more information.

However, this is how things should work:
1)Devmon puts information in the if_load test destined for RRD files, in HTML
comments, which looks something like this:

<!--DEVMON RRD: if_load 0 0
DS:ds0:COUNTER:600:0:U DS:ds1:COUNTER:600:0:U
Se6_0 3499054595:1434160769
Se6_1 0:0
Fa0_0 3835809787:732126292
Fa0_1 309078074:302050509
Et1_0 0:0
Et1_1 0:0
Et1_2 0:0
Et1_3 0:0
Gi2_0 3638445524:346223369
Se5_0 0:0
Se5_1 0:0
Se5_2 47392366:888019640
Se5_3 0:0
-->

(In fact, any test which has a TABLE statement with the rrd option will create
data like this, including the 'temp' tests for some Cisco templates, as well
as the compaq-server and maybe dell-poweredge, and the linux-netsnmp
templates. I am working on trying to enable graphs for more tests)

2)The Xymon RRD collector for devmon (included in extras/ in devmon for
Hobbit, or shipped with Xymon 4.2.2 or later) must be assigned to the if_load
test in the TEST2RRD variable in hobbitserver.cfg, (by adding if_load=devmon).

This should result in rrd files named if_load.<interface_name>.rrd in the rrd
directory for the host.

While editing hobbitserver.cfg, add "devmon::1" to GRAPHS as well.

3)The devmon graph definitions, shipped in extras/devmon-graph.cfg should be
added to the Xymon graph definitions (e.g., by using the 'directory
/etc/xymon/hobbitgraph.d' statement in hobbitgraph.cfg, and dropping the
devmon-graph.cfg in /etc/xymon/hobbitgraph.d).

You should now get if_load graphs on the trends page for the host, and if
you're lucky, they should also show up on the page for the if_load test on the
host.

> Is there any examples anywhere?

I will try and add some examples (and maybe also a weathermap example) on the
devmon wiki.

Regards,
Buchan