[hobbit] xymon ready to replace bb?

Joe Sloan joe at tmsusa.com
Sat Mar 28 18:33:14 CET 2009

Ralph Mitchell wrote:
> Take a look at the Xymon alert man page:
>
> http://www.hswn.dk/hobbit/help/manpages/man5/hobbit-alerts.cfg.5.html
>
> You can specify a script to be executed for any given alert.  The
> ALERT SCRIPTS section in the man page gives details of the environment
> variables passed in with the the alert information.  So, you could
> write a script to send snmp traps.

That's good info, it looks like I can hack something together given that
information.

The alerting failover issue sounds like a bit more of a challenge to get
right.

So, the bottom line is that, while xymon is clearly superior to bb on
several counts, it's still not a drop-in replacement for bb, as there
are some key pieces of functionality missing.

Some of it looks to be fairly easy to fix -  and maybe the fact that
some assembly is required is actually a blessing in disguise - job
security and all.

If I come up with something useful I'll contribute it back.

Joe