[hobbit] xymon ready to replace bb?

J Sloan joe at tmsusa.com
Thu Mar 26 18:34:05 CET 2009

Husemann, Harald wrote:
> Hi,
>
> for the failover part, what about using a real cluster like Linux HA
> cluster with DRBD? I've setup such a system a few weeks ago for us.

That would be a rather disruptive and expensive change. Since bb's
failover capability has been working perfectly since 2005, it would be a
hard sell in this economic climate to convince management to shell out
money to build 5 clusters. They'll tell me "forget it, let's stay with
big brother"

It would be tricky to do in our situation also because a cluster would
typically be built from machines in the same lan. Trying to build a
cluster of machines on completely different networks as ours are, would
be a bit more challenging, since neither side could take over an IP from
the other.

I will admit, that if I was building something new from scratch, your
idea would be the way to go. But unfortunately the company has become
dependent on some specific features of big brother, thus my search for a
drop-in replacement.

Joe