xymon ready to replace bb?

J Sloan joe at tmsusa.com
Thu Mar 26 03:07:55 CET 2009

After a bit of a hiatus from bb/hobbit/xymon issues, I'm looking at it
again.

I've grabbed a copy of xymon-4.4.0 svn and set it up on a test server
here -  very nice.

As hope springs eternal, I'm again hoping to replace our aging big
brother servers with xymon, since it's the closest thing to a drop-in
replacement. Hopefully xymon can be made to do some specific things that
bb does, which we depend on here, namely:

1. snmp traps - this is just a basic requirement to send out an snmp
trap on an alert. We have no need to receive snmp traps, only to send
them, as big brother does. We depend on that behavior to generate
tickets by sending traps to netcool whenever there is a bb alert condition.

2. alerting failover - we have redundant bb servers are set up, in
pairs. each pair of bb servers monitors certain network segments, while
only one of the pair is designated as the bbpager, i.e. only one of the
pair sends out alerts. But, should the passive bbpager be unable to
reach the normally active bbpager, failover kicks in, and the normally
passive server begins sending out all alerts. Worst case, we have a
split brain condition and get 2 copies of an alert, but in practice,
that's only happened a handful of times since 2005.

Can xymon 4.4.0 do these things, or is there a way to implement this
behavior with some appropriate add-ons?

Joe