cookies and ack

Phil Wild philwild at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 04:00:04 CET 2009

Sorry - hit send by accident before finishing typing...

I had a strange issue today and was after some guidance.

A user attempted to ack an alert today via sms and it did not happen
and I am trying to determine why...

It would appear that the cookie within hobbit changed before or
something before the ack was accepted and I don't understand how...

The events were...

service went down and two minutes later, sms was sent to the user
within five minutes of this happening, the user attempted to ack the
event via a script that runs bb...hobbitdack

The ack never made it into hobbit and at the time, while the alert was
still red, I was able to get a list of all cookies on the xymon server
by performing the following

./server/bin/bb localhost "hobbitdboard fields=cookie" | sort -u

The cookie number sent to the user did not appear in the list returned
from the above command. At first I thought perhaps the service went
green and then red again, generating another cookie but the logs do
not seem to indicate this...

Does anybody have any theories on this? Is there any logging I could
put in place to help me resolve the problem?

Cheers

Phil