[hobbit] Re: Hobbit server/client, Nagios server ?! (fwd)

Martin Flemming martin.flemming at desy.de
Sat Mar 14 11:42:52 CET 2009

Hi, Martin .. again :-) !

Thanks a lot for answer and your informations .. !!

.. for my apology and i think you notice it, i'm not knowledgeable
with the nagios-working-model ...

> You are asking about having a Nagios server talk to a Hobbit client,
> yes?

Not quite correct, also the Xymon-Server could trigger the
Nagios-Server, like the xymon-alert-mail to myself ... :-)

Damned, once more my misapprehension again,
about  nagios ( not a client-server-application), sorry !

> In this case what you are asking for is certainly possible, just
> not simple.

I believe, and the other thought, with xymon-server to nagio-server
is not easier i think ..

There was a nebulous idea, that Nagios can get a xymon-alert for
a host (from xymon-client or from server), and if you "click" on the
alarm-icon on Nagios, you will be redirect to the  xymon-page or subpage
or host-info-page ...

And you describe this very intelligible with this below, thanks ! :-)

> If you really want to do this you are going to have to write (or get
> your student to write) a proxy server that listens on port 1984 and
> stores any client data from the Xymon client on disk. Then, when the
> Nagios server initiates a test another program reads the data from the
> disk and sends back the corresponding information.
>
> How you tie up the data sent from the client to the data requested by
> the server is up to you and your student to figure out.

It seems ( this was apprehensive ) to be a bigger project :-(

Thanks a lot again for your answer !

.. but i still wonder, that i'm the only one, who wants/need this
connection between xymon and nagios ( ok, Xymon is the better  of
application course, but nagios is more widespreaded , i think ...)

cheers,
 	martin