Negative spikes in rrd graphs

Iain M Conochie iain at shihad.org
Tue Mar 10 10:53:12 CET 2009

Good morning Xymonners!

  I have an issue I was hoping someone could help me with. I have
created an NCV definition for a mysql script to graphs slow queries and
also queries per second. The definition is here:

[mysql]
        TITLE MySQL Queries
        YAXIS Amount
        DEF:questions=mysql.rrd:questions:AVERAGE
        DEF:slow=mysql.rrd:slowqueries:AVERAGE
        LINE2:questions#0000FF:Queries
        GPRINT:questions:LAST: \: %5.1lf (cur)
        GPRINT:questions:MAX: \: %5.1lf (max)
        GPRINT:questions:MIN: \: %5.1lf (min)
        GPRINT:questions:AVERAGE: \: %5.1lf (avg)\n
        LINE2:slow#00FF00:Slow Queries
        GPRINT:slow:LAST: \: %5.1lf (cur)
        GPRINT:slow:MAX: \: %5.1lf (max)
        GPRINT:slow:MIN: \: %5.1lf (min)
        GPRINT:slow:AVERAGE: \: %5.1lf (avg)\n

This is all well and good. Here is a shortened output of the script:

threads: 4
questions: 681188
slow queries: 2

 Now Questions is ALWAYS increasing; so i felt that the average statement would be the correct one. However, if i restart the mysql service or even the box and Questions drops to 0 then bad things happen to the graphs. The spike downwards to large negative numbers. Now rrd is doing what it should be doing i.e. giving me an average of the range of numbers. Is there another definition I can use to not have this effect?

Cheers

Iain