[hobbit] Setting this up and monitoring VM Servers?

Harold J. Ballinger hballinger at heritage-healthcare.com
Mon Jun 29 20:50:13 CEST 2009

Small world...

We use bbclt on the ESX host - along with some externals to monitor the actual hardware (i.e. OpenManage & RAID, etc.). We are also implementing the following custom EXTs for our ESX hosts (will be posted to DeadCat once complete):

- a modified "vdf" to output the vmfs information to a vmdisk column
- parse "vmware-cmd -l", "vmware-cmd VMNAME getstate", and "vmware-cmd VMNAME getheartbeat" to provide a vmrun column
- a modified "du -h" to output the snapshot & vm file sizes & usage to a vmfile column

We are also working on SNMP, but prefer using an EXT where possible.

We use BBWIN on our Windows guests and BBCLT on the non-Windows guests with every EXT that we can lay our hands on or custom develop.

Harold J. Ballinger, MCSE, MCNE
IT Coordinator
Heritage Healthcare, Inc.
536 Old Howell Rd, Greenville SC 29615