Windows update check monitor added to the Shire

Storer, Raymond storerr at nibco.com
Fri Jun 26 18:39:51 CEST 2009

Here is a vbscript I use to test for needed updates. I did not put any checks in for the existence of bbwin. I run my script from a Windows task and so I don't use the file system object to write the file-I just redirect stdout to a file in my bbwin's tmp directory. Feel free to modify as you see fit.

Ray

'code begins here
'Change these to match your environment
Const AlarmRedLevel = 10
Const AlarmYellowLevel = 5
Const AlarmRed = "red"
Const AlarmYellow = "yellow"
Const AlarmGreen = "green"

Dim oSearcher, oResults, oUpdates, oShell
Set oSearcher = CreateObject("Microsoft.Update.Searcher")
Set oResults = oSearcher.Search("Type='Software'")
Set oUpdates = oResults.Updates
Set oShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")

Dim strOut, IsInstalled, strKBs, strURL, IsEven, iUpdates, iUpdatesNeeded, strClass, strAlarm, strSvrName
iUpdates = oUpdates.Count
strSvrName = LCase(oShell.ExpandEnvironmentStrings("%COMPUTERNAME%"))

iUpdatesNeeded = 0
For i = 0 to iUpdates - 1
                IsInstalled = oUpdates.Item(i).IsInstalled
                If (IsInstalled = False) Then
                                iUpdatesNeeded = iUpdatesNeeded + 1
                End If
Next

If (iUpdatesNeeded > AlarmRedLevel) Then
                strAlarm = AlarmRed & " " & Date & " " & LCase(Time) & " " & strSvrName & VbCrLf
Else
                If (iUpdatesNeeded > AlarmYellowLevel) Then
                                strAlarm = AlarmYellow & " " & Date & " " & LCase(Time) & " " & strSvrName & VbCrLf
                Else
                                strAlarm = AlarmGreen & " " & Date & " " & LCase(Time) & " " & strSvrName & VbCrLf
                End If
End If

WScript.Echo strAlarm & VbCrLf

strOut = "<style type=""text/css"">" & VbCrLf & _
                "table.updates { border-width: 3px; border-spacing: 0px; border-style: solid; border-color: black; border-collapse: separate; background-color: white; }" & VbCrLf & _
                "table.updates th { background-color: white; }" & VbCrLf & _
                "table.updates td.even { border-width: 1px; padding: 3px; border-style: solid; border-color: gray; background-color: #FCF6CF; }" & VbCrLf & _
                "table.updates td.odd { border-width: 1px; padding: 3px; border-style: solid; border-color: gray; background-color: #FEFEF2; }" & VbCrLf & _
                "</style>" & VbCrLf & _
                "<h2>" & UCase(strSvrName) & " Needs [" & CStr(iUpdatesNeeded) & "] Windows Updates</h2>" & VbCrLf & _
                "<table class='updates'>" & _
                "<th>Title</th>" & _
                "<th>Severity</th>" & _
                "<th>Description</th>" & _
                "<th>Size(bytes)</th>" & _
                "<th>Deadline</th>" & _
                "<th>URL</th>" & _
                "<th>KBs</th>" & _
                "</tr>" & VbCrLf
                IsEven = True
For i = 0 to iUpdates - 1
                IsInstalled = oUpdates.Item(i).IsInstalled
                If (IsInstalled = False) Then
                                strKBs = ""
                                strURL = oUpdates.Item(i).SupportURL
                                If (IsEven = True) Then
                                                strClass = "class='even'"
                                                IsEven = False
                                Else
                                                strClass = "class='odd'"
                                                IsEven = True
                                End If
                                                "<td " & strClass & ">" & oUpdates.Item(i).MsrcSeverity & "</td>" & _
                                                "<td " & strClass & ">" & oUpdates.Item(i).Description & "</td>" & _
                                                "<td " & strClass & ">" & oUpdates.Item(i).MaxDownloadSize & "</td>" & _
                                                "<td " & strClass & "> " & oUpdates.Item(i).Deadline & "</td>" & _
                                                "<td " & strClass & "><A href='" & strURL & "' target='_blank'>" & strURL & "</a></td>"
                                For Each strArticle in oUpdates.Item(i).KBArticleIDs
                                                If (Len(strKBs) > 0) Then
                                                                strKBs = strKBs & ", " & strArticle
                                                Else
                                                                strKBs = strArticle
                                                End If
                                Next 'each KB
                                strOut = strOut & "<td " & strClass & ">" & strKBs & "</td>"
                                strOut = strOut & "</tr>" & VbCrLf
                End If 'Installed?
Next 'each update
strOut = strOut & "</table>" & VbCrLf