[hobbit] Xymon roadmap

Rich Smrcina rsmrcina at wi.rr.com
Fri Jun 26 12:23:43 CEST 2009

On February 9, Henrik posted the following roadmap to the list.  I
haven't heard much lately so I don't know if it has changed.

Version 4.4:
* SNMP support for data collection
* Status updates based on data collected in the RRD files (this is
  really nice - essentially, *any* value you put into an RRD file
  can trigger a new or modified status in Xymon. So you could eg.
  change the status of your "http" test to go red, if the response
  time of a webpage exceeds 5 seconds).
* Status "flap" handling, to catch statuses that change rapidly.

Version 4.5:
* Support for communication between clients and Xymon to use
  compression and/or encryption.
* Support for client authentication via SSL certificates (so
  you cannot spoof a client message).

Version 4.6:
* Revised web interface - eliminate the need for webserver-based
  authentication, and provide more fine-grained authorization
  for the various Xymon components.
* Per-user custom login pages, so the login will always show those
  systems that the user has responsibility for / is allowed to
  access.

Somewhere along the road I will also introduce a new "ping" test
daemon - I am getting to the point where ping'ing all hosts take
longer than 5 minutes (I have a lot of hosts). So something needs
to be done, and I think I know how to do it.

--
Rich Smrcina
Phone: 414-491-6001

Catch the WAVV! http://www.wavv.org