[hobbit] xmon 4.3beta2 - Bug with --tooltips=never

Alan Sparks asparks at doublesparks.net
Thu Jun 18 01:23:09 CEST 2009

Alan Sparks wrote:
> Dominique Frise wrote:
>
>> Alan Sparks wrote:
>>
>>> I have added the documented option "--tooltips=never" to my BBGENOPTS
>>> setting.  Documented behavior is to show the COMMENT next to the host
>>> name (same as with Hobbit 4.2).  However, in 4.3 this also is showing
>>> the value of any DESCR tag on the host, which is not compatible
>>> behavior, and is ugly (the DESCR value used to be only included on the
>>> INFO page).
>>> -Alan
>>>

>> The man page for 4.3beta2 ( 4.2.3) states:
>>
>>      --tooltips=[always,never,main]
>>           Determines  which  pages  use  tooltips  to  show   the
>>           description  of the host (from the COMMENT entry in the
>>           bb-hosts(5) file). If set to always, tooltips are  used
>>           on all pages. If set to never, tooltips are never used.
>>           If set to main, tooltips are used on  the  main  pages,
>>           but not on the BB2 (all non-green) or NK (critical sys-
>>           tems) pages.
>>
>> Missing in this text is the default setting which corresponds to
>> --tooltips=main. This is the setting we use.
>>
>> Ie tried --tooltips=never and now see the COMMENT value after the
>> hostname which is the correct behaviour (see bb-hosts(5)). The DESCR
>> values only show up in the info column.
>>

>> Dominique

>> hobbit-unsubscribe at hswn.dk
>>

> Definitely does not work that way here.  I have several host entries
> that have tags like:
>  DESCR:vip:"Anycast DNS address"
>
> With --tooltips=never in my BBGENOPTS, this is part of the info page.
> But it is also rendered on the groups page:
>
>   dns-anycast (vip:Anycast DNS address)    conn:green:6d04h08m
> dns:green:6d04h45m     info:green:10.254.254.1     trends:green:

> hobbit-unsubscribe at hswn.dk

This block of code t=from lib/htmllog.c is questionable to me.  If does
not implement the documented behavior - if the comment is not there, it
uses the description.  And if tooltips are disabled, the description is
rendered in parentheses.  This is definitely different behavior from
4.2, and different from the documention.

        cmt = bbh_item(host, BBH_COMMENT); if (!cmt) cmt =
bbh_item(host, BBH_DESCRIPTION);
        if (!cmt && usetooltip) cmt = bbh_item(host, BBH_IP);

        if (disp == NULL) disp = hname;

        if (cmt) {
                if (usetooltip) {
                        /* Thanks to Marco Schoemaker for suggesting the
use of <span title...> */
                        result = (char *)malloc(strlen(disp) +
strlen(cmt) + 30);
                        sprintf(result, "<span title=\"%s\">%s</span>",
cmt, disp);
                }
                else {
                result = (char *)malloc(strlen(disp) + strlen(cmt) + 4);
                sprintf(result, "%s (%s)", disp, cmt);
                }