Xymon Server DNS

Phil Meech pmeech at gmail.com
Thu Jun 11 10:05:36 CEST 2009

Hi All,

I imagine this is quite a simple one, and I'm overlooking something...but
here goes...

I have Xymon 4.2.3 installed on Ubuntu; upgraded from Hobbit and it's been
in production for almost a year now (including the time spent as hobbit).
As our monitored network has grown, obviously the amount of lookups has
increased with it.  To try and speed up the tests I setup the Xymon server
as a DNS server (slave for our domain, and forwarder onto the ISP DNS
servers).  Locally it works fine i.e. nslookup queries itself, and I can dig
the DC and domain (again queried locally); from a remote machine I can also
query the DNS on the Xymon server.  However, Xymon reports the DNS service
as down.

Any ideas?

Cheers,
Phil