[hobbit] Alternate web interface work?

Buchan Milne bgmilne at staff.telkomsa.net
Thu Jul 23 18:17:17 CEST 2009

On Thursday 16 July 2009 03:24:18 T.J. Yang wrote:

> for a face lift type of big GUI change, we need to convert C data sturcture
> into JSON format and json reader to render into cool GUI from 1. and
> convert those *.cgi scripts into *.js scripts.

I have started on a perl module implementing access to Xymon, at present there
is a single module (Xymon::Client), and I have a 3-line perl script (bb.pl)
emulating the bb binary.

The idea however is to provide a more OO api, which can then be used to
implement a Model::Xymon for Catalyst, to allow retrieving data, which can
then be sent to a View::JSON view (or, maybe even just send the XML from
hobbitdxlog or hobbitdxboard?).

My javascript skills are not so great, and unfortunately I didn't bring my
Javascript/AJAX book with me ...

I will make Xymon::Client available as soon as I am prepared for some
criticism ...

> I am busy with my personal  xymon inventory project and I am going to use
> extjs/sqlite(or mysql) to store a host's inventory information

Have you looked at any existing inventory systems, such as ocs-inventory?
GLPI, which has trouble ticket features, can integrate with it.

However, GLPI doesn't seem very ITIL-compliant (there isn't really a
distinction between incidents, requests, and changes).

> and connect
> system information with inventory information on xymon server page and also
> setting up sample projects to learn php/mysql/extjs and
> catalyst/mysql/extjs. Having catalyst to use extjs as View(instead of
> default plain TT) took me longest time.

Using View::JSON? Or a custom view?

Regards,
Buchan