[hobbit] Xymon CentOS 5 installation

Buchan Milne bgmilne at staff.telkomsa.net
Tue Jul 21 15:11:06 CEST 2009

On Tuesday 21 July 2009 11:21:49 Neil Franken wrote:
> Hi Buchan
>
> I am very new to Centos as I come from a Ubuntu/Opensuse background. Do
> I add these repositories to Yum?

Yes.

> I tried downloading them with firefox
> and opening them with the software installer but it complains about
> missing dependencies.

Yes. There are a number of packages required for installing the server-side.

This would be the entire process:

# cat > /etc/yum.repos.d/xymon.repo <<EOF
[hobbit]
name=Hobbit-$releasever
baseurl=http://staff.telkomsa.net/packages/rhel$releasever/hobbit/
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=http://staff.telkomsa.net/packages/bgmilne.asc
enabled=1

[xymon]
name=Xymon-$releasever
baseurl=http://staff.telkomsa.net/packages/rhel$releasever/xymon/
gpgcheck=1
gpgkey=http://staff.telkomsa.net/packages/bgmilne.asc
enabled=1

EOF
# yum install xymon devmon
# service xymon start

If mrtg is selected by yum, cancel, and run instead:
# yum install perl-SNMP_Session xymon devmon
(the mrtg package shouldn't provide perl(SNMP_Session), as it is in the wrong
location for scripts to 'use SNMP_Session' without overriding PERL5LIB or
similar)

You would notice that *all* the packages required in top of a basic
Centos5/RHEL5 install are provided in the repo, including rrdtool ...

Regards,
Buchan