CLASS on hobbit-alerts.cfg / bb-hosts

James j.sansford at ntlworld.com
Wed Jul 8 21:54:15 CEST 2009

Hi guys, me again - should be the last time I ask hopefully!

I think this one might be a dead end but maybe not - i've done a bit of searching and I can't find any succesful resolution. I'm trying to group our different servers into services, such as "web servers", "database servers" etc in terms of alerting and thought I could use the CLASS definition.

I've set them up such that in bb-hosts we have a server, eg:

10.1.1.1    www1    #    CLASS:www     ssh    http://www1/

And then within hobbit-alerts.cfg I have something such as:

CLASS=www
    MEMSWAP    80    90

However for the life of me I can't get it to work, checking the "info" page of www1 (for example) shows at the bottom that it's reading "CLASS:www" as a separate tag rather than processing it as a class definition. Am I doing something silly? Is there another way I could approach this?

Many thanks!
James