[hobbit] NTP Graphing

Henrik Størner henrik at hswn.dk
Wed Jan 28 22:24:00 CET 2009

In <71D23AAE53176A4EB67247AFFADCC10C6D6C7E858F at FMAIL-CCR.synetrixhl.local> <Russell.Cook at synetrix.co.uk> writes:

>I am trying to graph the ntp offset of a few ntp servers. I can see a defin=
>ition in hobbitgraph referring to [ntpstat] and have defined the ntp test i=
>n the bb-hosts file, but I don't see any rrds being generated and obviously=
> no graphs for the hosts.

>What do I need to do to make the graphs appear?

Heh, I didn't realize that had snuck into the distribution :-)

It's using data from "ntpq", running as a client-side add-on on the box
that you want to monitor ntp for. It's dead simple:

#!/bin/sh

# This script is an extension for the BB client running on
# your server. It will feed data about the local NTP daemon
# into Hobbit, where the offset between the NTP reference
# clock and the local clock will be graphed.

$BB $BBDISP "data $MACHINE.ntpstat

`ntpq -c \"rv 0 offset\"`
"

exit 0