[hobbit] 1 test, 1 graph, multiple lines

doctor at makelofine.org doctor at makelofine.org
Fri Jan 16 17:30:03 CET 2009

On Fri, 16 Jan 2009 14:38:23 +0200, Buchan Milne
<bgmilne at staff.telkomsa.net> wrote:
> On Friday 16 January 2009 12:16:56 doctor at makelofine.org wrote:
>> Hi !
>> I'm new to this ML, and I'm almost a script dev (almost is the most
>> accurate word in this mail).
>> I created a script to monitor game servers activity. It reports the
>> number
>> of player on a server.
>> The ouput is formated as it :
>> &global_color $machine.$test <many words>
>> &color server1 is OK|NOK Players: <INTEGER>
>> I followed the ~(hobbit|xymon)/help/howtograph.html help file, and i get
>> my
>> graph when I monitor 1 game server. My script supports several game
>> servers
>> monitoring, but I can't find a way to have graph for all of them, like
>> the
>> http tests do (1 test, many URL tested, and one graph with all URL on
>> it).
>> Can someone help me ?
>
> As long as you will not be changing the number of game servers you
monitor,

> send a status message like this:
>
> &global_color $machine.$test <many words>
> &color server1 is OK|NOK
> server1_players: <INTEGER>
> &color server2 is OK|NOK
> server2_players: <INTEGER>
>
> Make sure you have a new line after the last entry. Remove any rrd files
if

> you have changed the number of servers you want to graph.
>
> Regards,
> Buchan

> hobbit-unsubscribe at hswn.dk

After some tests and researches, I think the best way for me to manage my
graphs is to use several RRD files for 1 test, each containing data for one
of my value. I read the doc :
http://hobbitmon.sourceforge.net/docs/man8/hobbitd_rrd.8.html
But I'm not sure to understand how I could manage this :
"If you want to store the data in multiple RRD files, the script can just
print out more sequences of data-set definitions, RRD filenames and RRD
values. If the data-set definitions are identical to the previous
definition, you need not print the data-set definitions again - just print
a new RRD filename and value. "

Can someone help me about it ?

Regards,
Damien