[hobbit] Graph/Devmon Help Needed

Buchan Milne bgmilne at staff.telkomsa.net
Wed Jan 7 15:23:19 CET 2009

On Wednesday 07 January 2009 15:42:31 Brian Daly wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have configured hobbit to monitor cpu and disk space on a cisco call
> manager device using devmon/snmp.

I assume you created a new template for this device? I can help more if you
post the template (more appropriate for the devmon list though). Also, what OS
does it run ? Windows server ?

(while we have Cisco call managers in the company, I don't monitor or have any
access to them, but I've been meaning to work on templates for Windows servers
for devmon, and that I can test myself)

Also, I would prefer to let everyone benefit from investments users make in
creating templates, so once it is working, please consider sending it to me to
include (or, file a bug on the devmon SF tracker) and attach the templates to
that.

> The CPU test returns the values for each processors load as a percentage
> (INTEGER) and hobbit displays these values, however no graph is created
> automatically.

Most of the current cisco templates shipped with devmon should result in a
working CPU graph, I have them for cisco-6509, cisco-7207, cisco-asa etc.

E.g.:
http://devmon.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/devmon/trunk/templates/cisco-6509/cpu/message?revision=28&view=markup

> Creating a custom graph is my last option, but I would
> hope that like other cisco devices that a graph could be created
> automatically using the values returned by devmon.

> For Disk Usage I have worked out the percentage used with some simple
> MATH in the transforms file and this is also being displayed properly on
> the disk page for this device, however the graph is not displaying these
> values correctly. Before I started using the transforms to get the
> percentage of disk space used, devmon was configured to simply get the
> number of bytes used on one volume. This created a graph (although it
> was constantly at 0%). After tidying up the test to list all four
> volumes and the percentage of disk space used, the graph is no longer
> reporting any values.

The linux-openwrt template works nicely (the formatting isn't quite the same
as sent by the hobbit client, but graphing works fine) for me on disks on
linux (on WRT54GL, and normal linux host) monitored via snmp:

http://devmon.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/devmon/trunk/templates/linux-
openwrt/disk/message?revision=38&view=markup

(the "plain" option for TABLE allows one to try and get something closer to
what the Hobbit rrd modules expect).

> Can somebody help me get the graph to display the percentage of disk
> space used for the 4 volumes I am monitoring and to start graphing the
> percentage of CPU usage for 2 CPU's.

If you can't come right with the examples above, it would help to see some of
the data you get via SNMP, and your existing template (at least the 'message'
files).

Note, these are the two devmon tests that can create graphs without the devmon
collector for Hobbit.

Regards,
Buchan