ncv/splitncv question(s)

Wally.nl hobbit at general-failure.com
Tue Feb 24 16:08:21 CET 2009

Hi,

After creating custom graphs with NCV for our san's storage processor load
I wanted to graph the read & write iops of our san on a per-lun basis. I
hoped it could be done kind of dynamic (like disk) with NCV but that seems
impossible. My san management station is spitting out nice status messages
(using bbwincmd) formatted like this:

<hobbit_display> status san lun,<lun#> green <timestamp> ReadIOPS :
<#oips> WriteIOPS : <#iops>

which result in numerous new columns under 'san' like "lun,11" "lun,12"
etc (used the ",<#>" format since the 'disk' rrd's seem to use it). I was
hoping they would all be 'hidden' in one 'lun' column (like disk) but that
was wishfull thinking. Any solution/fix for this is welcome. Clicking one
of these columns does show the correct results however (...although no
graph since it doesn't even make rrd's).

After reading about SPLITNCV in
http://www.hswn.dk/hobbiton/2008/10/msg00423.html I could put something
like

SPLITNCV_lun="ReadIOPS:GAUGE,WriteIOPS:GAUGE"

in my hobbitserver.cfg but if I understand correctly this would result in
2 rrd files lun.ReadIOPS.rrd and lun.WriteIOPS.rrd and that's not what I'm
looking for. I'm hoping someone here "had fun" with something like this
before and is able to point me in the right direction since I'm at the
point that my head is about to explode.

Thanks in advance,

Wally