RRD graphs appearing in trends but not in Devmon columns?

Richard Finegold goldfndr at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 23:27:47 CET 2009

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 12:12 AM, Richard Finegold <goldfndr at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm happily getting graphs for if_load and temp for Cisco routers, but
> the graphs are only appearing in the trends column. RRD graphs are
> appearing in Devmon-checked memory and cpu columns, but presumably
> that's due to them using standard text instead of specific Devmon
> syntax.
>
> I'm using "if_load=devmon,temp=devmon" in TEST2RRD in
> hobbitserver.cfg, as documented in Devmon's docs/GRAPHING, should that
> be working? Also "if_load::1,temp" in GRAPHS. I'm not sure, because
> the man page for hobbitserver.cfg suggests a "bb-hostsvc.cgi(1)" man
> page, which doesn't seem to exist.
> http://www.hswn.dk/hobbit/help/manpages/man5/hobbitserver.cfg.5.html#lbAM
> Ah, it's been partially renamed to hobbitsvc.cgi(1). That man page
> only seems to address "TEST2RRD=test,test", not the optional
> =RRDSERVICE syntax in hobbitserver.cfg(5).
>
> devmon-0.3.1-beta1, xymon-4.2.3-RC1. I haven't applied patches,
> because I thought they were both already patched for each other.
>
> I'm sure I'm missing something simple (perhaps a TEST2RRD parsing patch).

It's definitely an issue in the TEST2RRD parsing. As soon as I remove
"=devmon", the graphs appear. But when it's removed, the rrd files
aren't updated.

I'm guessing 4.2.3-RC1's "lib/hobbitrrd.c" needs to be altered, but
I'm not sure how -- the lines from hobbit-4.2.0-devmon-complete.patch
are present in it, and the same text is in 4.3.0's lib/hobbitrrd.c in
svn. Or perhaps my rrd is incorrect, but that seems unlikely because
the graphs show in the trends column and display correctly. I have rrd
filenames like if_load.Gi0_0.rrd.

Until this month I was using '-extra-tests=if_load
--extra-script=$BBHOME/ext/devmon-rrd.pl' for [rrddata] in
hobbitlaunch.cfg, might that have a lingering effect?

Any advice would be appreciated.