[hobbit] randomizing execution of tests

Henrik Størner henrik at hswn.dk
Sat Feb 14 09:05:13 CET 2009

On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 06:01:44PM +0100, Frank Gruellich wrote:
> OTOH with so many servers we can't manage several monitoring groups
> keeping in mind how many checks are in one groups and which one still
> has "free slots" available.  Having such a randomization and spreading
> in time integrated into bbtest-net would be really great.  (Thinking
> about it, spreading in time is maybe difficult because you never know
> how long all tests will take.  Randomization of test order should be
> quite simple.  But I don't know anything about hobbit internals.)

You're right that randomizing the sequence of tests is simple - the
attached patch against 4.3.0 should do that nicely.

Completely untested, but it should work :-) It won't be difficult to
port over to the 4.2.3 version if needed.

Spreading things out over a longer time requires much more of a
re-design. That may happen - I have some ideas about doing a major
re-design of how network tests are done - but it will be a while
before that evolves into any code.