[hobbit] randomizing execution of tests

Frank Gruellich frank.gruellich at navteq.com
Fri Feb 13 18:01:44 CET 2009

Hi,

Henrik Størner wrote:
> The only "problem" with this is that you get to do the configuration of
> what tests can run simultaneously by hand.

I'd like to second that feature request (if it's not already one I would
like to make it one ;-)).  We have ~1k such "servers", but there are
only ~100 real machines.  (In fact, it's a bit more complicated.)  So it
can happen, that some machines are hit by up 20 monitoring requests
simultanously.  These machines are no simple HTTP servers but something
more advanced.  Unfortunately each of this servers can only deal with 4
requests in parallel, others are queued up and delayed.  Same goes for
real, non-monitoring requests, they are delayed during such bulks of
monitoring requests and users of the servers have to wait.

OTOH with so many servers we can't manage several monitoring groups
keeping in mind how many checks are in one groups and which one still
has "free slots" available.  Having such a randomization and spreading
in time integrated into bbtest-net would be really great.  (Thinking
about it, spreading in time is maybe difficult because you never know
how long all tests will take.  Randomization of test order should be
quite simple.  But I don't know anything about hobbit internals.)

Kind regards,
--
Navteq (DE) GmbH
Frank Gruellich

Duesseldorfer Strasse 40a
65760 Eschborn
Germany

Phone:      +49 6196 77756-414
Fax:        +49 6196 77756-100

USt-ID-No.: DE 197947163
Managing Directors: Thomas Golob, Alexander Wiegand,
Hans Pieter Gieszen, Martin Robert Stockman