[hobbit] Xymon 4.3.0: Beta version available on Sourceforge

Gary Baluha gumby3203 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 10 16:31:15 CET 2009

> 2) The real problem is that unless the database is co-located with the
> Xymon server, then your monitoring suddenly becomes dependant on
> a remote database-server. So what happens if your database server loses
> the network connection to the Xymon server ? You won't get any alerts
> from Xymon, because it has no data available to generate alerts from.
>

> It's the same reason that has kept me from using SAN storage for my
> production Xymon server at work. Much too complex for my taste, far
> too many ways it can break.

Interesting that you should mention that, because our Xymon installation has
all of the /var/hobbit/data stuff stored on a SAN mount.  This has worked
out fairly well for us (though we did have an intermittent issue for a few
months that eventually got straightened out).

However, I'm working on implementing an HA solution for Hobbit using
LinuxHA, and I think we'll be moving from SAN-based storage to local
storage, using DRBD for replication between the two nodes.