Themeing for large displays

Buchan Milne bgmilne at staff.telkomsa.net
Wed Feb 4 09:04:43 CET 2009

We have some space available on a video wall, specifically a section of 18
panels (9 panels wide, 2 high), where each panel is 1400x1050, so a total size
of 12600x2100.

What I've done so far (since none of the interactive aspects of the Hobbit
display are usable) is to make a frameset with the main view (50%), the
critical systems view (30%), and a devmon weathermap (20%). The main view and
the critical systems view are generated by an extra task running with bigger
fonts and icon sizes.

I am considering putting the non-green view on as well (in the same column as
the critical systems view).

However, there are still a number of problems:
1)I have gone as large as I can go with FONT tags and without CSS changes
(it's a long time since I did any web development, and CSS was quite new then
...).
2)Some font sizes are hardcoded in the source code (e.g. event log on the bb2
page). While there is a MKBBACKFONT for the ack log (which I don't use), there
is no MKBBLOGFONT.
3)The icons (at 64 pixels) are pixelating
4)The background images are too small (by over 3 *)

I managed to take a photo of our section of the video wall, as it's difficult
to get an idea of just how big it is:

http://staff.telkomsa.net/~bgmilne/hobbit-videowall.jpg

(I've made a lot of other changes as well since this, but I don't have a
current photo now).

I am prepared to try and fix some of these issues, e.g.:
1)Fix hardcoded fonts in source (e.g. use MKBBLOGFONT, or even MKBBACKFONT in
the event log table)
2)Create some icon skins for various sizes (ideally in vector format in svn?)

However, if any other people have similar problems/requirements, I wouldn't
mind some assistance.

However, I do want to try and fix some of this by today ..

Regards,
Buchan