MEMPHYS went nuts

Jaime Kikpole jkikpole at cairodurham.org
Sun Dec 20 05:47:50 CET 2009

I've been setting up Xymon since I heard about it a couple of days
ago.  So far, its fantastic.  Unfortunately, after a UPS malfunction
that caused a whole room to restart, I have an inexplicable alarm.
Take a look at this red alarm:

 Memory              Used       Total  Percentage
 Physical     4294964640M       4084M 4294967231%
 Swap                  0M       4096M          0%

This is from a FreeBSD 7.x box that has 8GB of physical RAM and 4GB of
swap.  According to "top", the physical memory is still about 6.75GB
free.

I've restarted the daemon on the host in question as well as on
Xymon's GUI/web server.  I've even tried a bin/bb 127.0.0.1 "drop
HOSTNAME memory" just to see if it would help.

I'm not even sure where to start on this.  It was working well for a
day or so before going bad like this.  My best guess right now is some
kind of "wrap-around" problem with an integer or something like that
causing bad data in memory.

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Jaime

P.S. - The alarm is at the following URL, if that helps:
http://cns.cairodurham.org/hobbit-cgi/bb-hostsvc.sh?HOST=cerberus.cairodurham.org&SERVICE=memory

--
Network Administrator
Cairo-Durham Central School District