dbcheck 1.21 vs xymon 4.2.3 (tablespace graphs)

Buchan Milne bgmilne at staff.telkomsa.net
Mon Dec 14 19:41:23 CET 2009

I have previously used dbcheck version 1.15, but with local hacks in dbcheck
to get it to report tablespace data in a format for which the Hobbit 4.2.0
built-in disk check could collect RRD data (as at the time I didn't have time
to get a change approved on the production monitoring environment).

I recently had a requirement to monitor database servers in a new environment,
and used dbcheck 1.21 (as support for different thresholds for tablespaces with
autoextend enabled or not will be useful). However, as far as I can tell, the
RRD collector shipped with Xymon 4.2.3 is only going to work with dbcheck
1.15.

So, I patched Xymon 4.2.3 with the patch-4.2.3 shipped with hobbit-perl-cl
1.21.

For these tests, I have RRD files and graphs, but they are all NaN:
Session
TblSpace

For these tests, I have RRD files, and graphs with values:
InvObj
MemReq

For these tests, I have a broken graph (no image):
HitCache

Now, I would prefer to have graphs for all the tests, but immediately, graphs
for TblSpace would be most useful.

Unfortunately I don't have a test/dev environment with a full Oracle
installation (I will try and get an OracleXE into my usual Xymon dev
environment, but I don't know if that is sufficient), so I can't debug this
sufficiently.

The Xymon host in question is running CentOS 5.3 x86_64 at present.

So, some questions:
-Does the RRD collector that ships with Xymon 4.2.3 support dbcheck 1.15 ?
-If not, does the RRD collector patch for 4.2.3 shipped in 1.21 support
x86_64?

Will these changes be merged into Xymon SVN any time soon? I prefer not to
apply patches which aren't going to find their way upstream.

Otherwise, I will try and test this with some dumps from hobbitdlog on the
production environment on my test environment ....

Regards,
Buchan