xymon - hobbitd_alert Program crashed Fatal signal caught!

Bill Wagner william.wagner at ipacc.com
Tue Aug 18 17:27:26 CEST 2009

I have xymon 4.2.3 server running on solaris 10.  This is  a new xymon
install and I have been setting up the initial alerts and changing
hobbit-clients.cfg and hobbit-alerts.cfg.  Alerts are generally working
as I intended.  However, at some point, I also began getting the
following alert:

Hobbit [398021] xymon:hobbitd_alert stopped reporting (PURPLE)

red - Program crashed

Fatal signal caught!

The hobbitd_alert process continues to run (see below) and alerts
continue to be generated.  I have backed out almost all my changes to
hobbit-alerts.cfg so it is "bare bones".  The crashes continue.  Any
suggestions on how to troubleshoot this?  I would enable debugging per
the hobbitd_alert MAN page if I could determine how to do that.

thanks in advance,
Bill

$ ptree 29939
29931 /export/home/xymon/server/bin/hobbitlaunch
--config=/export/home/xymon/server/e
  29939 hobbitd_channel --channel=page --log=/var/log/xymon/page.log
hobbitd_alert --ch
    29943 hobbitd_alert
--checkpoint-file=/export/home/xymon/server/tmp/alert.chk --check
$