[hobbit] Monitoring "internet"

Alan Sparks asparks at doublesparks.net
Wed Aug 5 17:36:25 CEST 2009

Josh Luthman wrote:
> Not to my knowledge, but I've never read the man page looking for that
> method.
>
> Josh Luthman
> Office: 937-552-2340
> Direct: 937-552-2343
> 1100 Wayne St
> Suite 1337
> Troy, OH 45373
>
> "When you have eliminated the impossible, that which remains, however
> improbable, must be the truth."
> --- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
>

> On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 10:55 AM, Ricardo Stella <stella at rider.edu
> <mailto:stella at rider.edu>> wrote:
>
>     Can these be combined as well? Ie do multiple http checks and go red
>     only if all fail?
>
>     TIA...
>
>     Josh Luthman wrote:
>     > Might also want to do some HTTP checks.  If your router's NAT table
>     > has problems, connection limits are hit, etc.  Pretty much anything
>     > TCP based but doing an HTTP request to Google should satisfy and
>     be easy.
>     >
>     > Josh Luthman
>     > Office: 937-552-2340
>     > Direct: 937-552-2343
>     > 1100 Wayne St
>     > Suite 1337
>     > Troy, OH 45373
>     >
>     > "When you have eliminated the impossible, that which remains,
>     however
>     > improbable, must be the truth."
>     > --- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
>     >
>     >
>     > On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 10:10 AM, Ricardo Stella
>     <stella at rider.edu <mailto:stella at rider.edu>
>     > <mailto:stella at rider.edu <mailto:stella at rider.edu>>> wrote:
>     >
>     >
>     >     Hello,
>     >
>     >     We have a request to monitor 'internet' connectivity.  (When
>     it comes
>     >     from higherups...)
>     >
>     >     Just pinging up the line might not be good enough as we've
>     had issues
>     >     with our providers in the recent past.  So I figured ping
>     several well
>     >     known hosts out in the cloud and if all are out, then we have no
>     >     'internet'.
>     >
>     >     I came out with the following.  Seems to work, but figure I
>     run it
>     >     thru
>     >     the list in case someone else has done this already...
>     >
>     >     page internet Internet Connectivity
>     >     127.0.0.1  INTERNET # conn=ip1,ip2,ip3,ip4,ip5
>     >
>     >
>     >     TIA...
>     >
>     >     To unsubscribe from the hobbit list, send an e-mail to
> [...]

You might be able to fake it to enough satisfaction... using a combo
test.  You might want to put the tests on a separate page, maybe explore
the NOPROPRED options.  Make sure that the individual tests don't
trigger alarms.  set up a combo test to go red if the tests all go red,
and set off an alert.  Just a thought.
-Alan