Remote worker module?

Steve Cochran scochran at univaud.com
Tue Apr 7 00:29:03 CEST 2009

(Sorry if these questions are already covered somewhere.  I'm a newbie,
and all of my searching didn't turn anything up.)

I'm working on an integration with Hobbit for a client.  They are using
version 4.2.0.  I need to be able to process incoming data on a server
that is remote to the Hobbit server.  I read in the hobbitd_channel man
page that you can locate worker modules remotely by using the --net
argument.  Something like:

  bin/hobbitd_channel --channel=data --log=$BBSERVERLOGS/remote_data.log
--net 10.10.4.67:12345

should (I believe) send "data" messages to host 10.10.4.67 on port
12345.  However when I try this, I just get error messages in my log saying:

 Our child has failed and will not talk to us: Channel data, PID 3251,
cause Bad file descriptor

(My remote client is, for now, just a netcat listener on the port.  I
can telnet to it, so I know that it's there and listening.)

So my questions are:

  1)  Does this remote capability exist in version 4.2?
  2)  Are there any special requirements of the client such that a
generic listener (like netcat) would provoke this error message?
  3)  Is there a sample (or real) worker module I could look at, that is
capable of being remoted in this way?   Or what's the remote equivalent
of  the get_hobbitd_message() function call?

any insight or examples would be appreciated.

thanks,
steve

Notice from Univa UD Postmaster:

This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message. This message has been content scanned by the Univa UD Tumbleweed MailGate.