[hobbit] bbwin patches

Buchan Milne bgmilne at staff.telkomsa.net
Tue Sep 30 13:04:34 CEST 2008

On Tuesday 30 September 2008 12:02:21 Johan Booysen wrote:
> I'm trying to get Hobbit 4.2.0 (installed using
> hobbit-4.2.0-9.el5.re.i386.rpm) to monitor Windows servers.  I had a
> look at http://bbwin.sourceforge.net/ and installed the bbwin client on
> a test lab machine.  However, I've noticed that I need to apply the
> "all-in-one" and bbwin patches, and this is slightly confusing:
>

> Does that apply to my installed version of Hobbit?

For the BBWin centralised config features to work, your Hobbit server does
need the functionality implemented in the patches. If you don't need the
features, you don't need the patches (since 2% of my monitored hosts are
Windows, I don't think I bothered at the time).

> Was I supposed to apply the patches before installing Hobbit, and
> necessarily build Hobbit as opposed to using the existing rpm?

You can apply the patches later. Whether or not your RPM has them, depends on
the RPM. The Mandriva package, and the packages I provide at
http://staff.telkomsa.net/packages/rhel4/hobbit/ have both the BBWin and the
devmon patches (besides the all-in-one patch) applied.

> Is there a way of modifying my existing installation to add support for
> monitoring Windows?

You can monitor Windows with any version of Hobbit, some features (that work
in the Unix client) may however not work.

Regards,
Buchan