Weird application freeze problem

Rich Smrcina rsmrcina at wi.rr.com
Tue Sep 9 05:10:44 CEST 2008

Posting for a friend....

I've been testing out Hobbit in a SLES 10 virtual machine on z/VM.  It is
a monitoring application based off of Big Brother.  So far, it works great
except for one weird thing.  We have a cron task that runs once a night
that does ntpdate to sync the time with an NTP server.  If the time is
in sync, no problem.  However, if the time is out of sync and is adjusted,
Hobbit freezes.  The tasks still exist, but they just stop doing anything.
Apache continues to display the same web page without an update.  Stopping
the Hobbit daemon doesn't help, in fact, it does nothing.  The tasks never
stop.  I have to recycle the entire system in order to free it up.

Has anyone seen a problem similar to this?  Any ideas?

--
Rich Smrcina
VM Assist, Inc.
rich.smrcina at vmassist.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/richsmrcina

Catch the WAVV!  http://www.wavv.org
WAVV 2009 - Orlando, FL - May 15-19, 2009