[hobbit] Re: Devmon causing core dumps

Buchan Milne bgmilne at staff.telkomsa.net
Fri Oct 31 17:19:46 CET 2008

On Friday 31 October 2008 17:35:44 Robert Holden wrote:
> I have seen this as well.  I finally determined it was caused by ATM
> interfaces.  Devmon does not give different components of an ATM circuit
> (the physical interface, the -atm layer, .0 sub interface, -aal5 layer)
> unique names.  So rrd was receiving data for 5 interfaces all with the same
> name.  As a temporary interface, I stopped monitoring the atm interfaces,
> but this is a bug.
>
> Interface names:
> ATM5/0/0
> ATM5/0/0-atm layer
> ATM5/0/0.0-atm subif
> ATM5/0/0-aal5 layer
> ATM5/0/0.0-aal5 layer

It's the spaces in the interface names.

> Devmon sees these all as: ATM5/0/0  because devmon templates (atleast for
> 6509's) are looking at ifName as the main identifier, which is not always
> unique.

No, on earlier IOSs, there will still many interface names for ATM interfaces,
but there were no spaces in the names. I have adjusted my template in this
case as follows to avoid the problem with spaces:

in transforms:

ifNameFixed     : REGSUB        : {ifName} /(\S+)(\s*)?(\S+)$/$1$3/

then replace ifName with ifNameFixed in the message file.

> Not sure on a solution yet.  MRTG uses ifIndex as it's unique key.

Well, this is not the issue, but using ifIndex is not a solution either.

(BTW, there isn't a bug filed on this issue, so so far I've just been wanting
to fix this for my own setup ...)

Regards,
Buchan