[hobbit] Load Averages

Hubbard, Greg L greg.hubbard at eds.com
Wed Oct 8 23:33:53 CEST 2008

Gavin,

Load average is (more or less) the average length of the run queue for a
UNIX-style system (someone once posted a link to a more precise
definition on this forum).  For your system, a load average value of 15
means that an average of 15 processes are waiting to use the CPU -- a
problem for most systems.

If you look at the trends button, you will probably find a CPU
utilization graph that shows a split between user, system, and idle CPU
usage.

CPU utilization shows how busy the CPU(s) is/are, but load average shows
the impact of a busy CPU on the system's workload.

I once had a system that spiked to 200+ in the load average display.
This problem was traced to a problem in some multi-threaded code where
the threads were going into infinite loops one by one until all of them
were locked up.  Amazingly enough, the system still responded to
interactive usage, but v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y.

GLH