[hobbit] Monitoring Solaris 10 virtual machines

Tim McCloskey morphine at zwizard.com
Tue Oct 7 18:31:42 CEST 2008

Probably open to further discussion and development.

In our environment we have the client installed in each child zone and
we only test the global zone for icmp (no client).  This works fine for
us and deployment is very simple as the hobbit install is in our cloned
zone that we import when we need another zone.  Another reason this
works for us is that a large number of our developers have access to
monitoring screens, and I don't discourage them from thinking that all
those hostnames are physical boxes (which is an entirely different matter:).

More to the point in answer to your question, the best way to monitor
those machines depends on your environment and what you want to monitor.

To my knowledge there are currently no complete working solutions for
central monitoring from the global zone but there are a few scripts that
have been created with some good progress.  Others will have a better
answer, I'm sure....

Regards,
Tim