[hobbit] Testing external web through a proxy

Ralph Mitchell ralphmitchell at gmail.com
Mon Nov 24 17:04:14 CET 2008

Heh - dude, that wasn't supposed to be the *whole* script...  :)

If that one was useful, here's something that may be a bit better.  I added
a timeout for curl, otherwise it'll wait for a long time if the server
doesn't respond.  Also, this format produces a message formatted just like
Xymon's internal http test, including the time taken to grab the headers.
You could extract the "Seconds" line to determine if the response is a bit
slow.  With a bit more magic in Xymon's configs, you could even graph it...

Ralph Mitchell

============= cut here ============
#!/bin/sh

TESTHOST=www.google.com
TESTURL=http://$TESTHOST/

TIMEOUT=30

# Grab *just* the headers, simulating Xymon's builtin http check
MESSAGE=`curl -x http://ourproxy.ourdomain.com:8080 \
     --proxy-anyauth -U hobbituser:hobbitpassword \
     -m $TIMEOUT \
     -w 'Seconds:     %{time_total}\n' \
     -s -S -L -I $TESTURL | $GREP -v Set-Cookie`

if [ "$?" -eq "0" ]; then
  COLOR=green
else
  COLOR=red
fi

# convert dots to commas in the hostname
MACHINE=`echo $TESTHOST | $SED -e 's/\./\,/g'

$BB $BBDISP "status $MACHINE.home $COLOR `date`

$MESSAGE"